Just Testing…

Home Forums SpeakEasy Just Testing…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Spooner Bookman 2 months ago.

• Author

Spooner Bookman
    Participant

Any way to make the text a different color?

Jacob
    Keymaster

Hmm…

Not at the moment, I’m afraid, (except for admin users, but of course I can’t let every user be an admin, that wouldn’t be secure at all!)

But I have found some plugins that I might be able to use to give normal forum users the ability to change both the color and size of their text. (Hogeye asked for font-size controls before.) I’ll need to do some fiddling to try and make sure I won’t break the forum by installing anything before I add them, though.

So, let’s call this a planned feature for a future site update! (I can’t promise any specific timeframe, yet, but I shall look into it.)

Jacob
    Keymaster

Ok, it looks like the plugins that would work are all over a year old, and my technical advisor, (my dad,) tells me that using plugins that haven’t been updated in over a year would be an excellent way to introduce security vulnerabilities. I may see if I can take one of them and update them myself, but I’m not sure how long this will take.

Jacob
    Keymaster

Okiedokie…

I added a plugin that enables control over font size and font color for normal users, but it does not add any buttons to the toolbar. For the moment, users will have to type out the bbc tags to use them.

You can use the following code for text color, (remove the space that immediately follows the first bracket, “[“, in my code example though):

[ color color=”blue”]This text will be blue.[/color]

This prints: “This text will be blue.

You can also use the following for font size:

[ size size=”20″]This text will be large.[/size]

This prints: “This text will be large.

Please use these newfound powers responsibly!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Jacob.

Spooner Bookman
    Participant

Dang it, can’t get it to work? When I do the brackets, it just hides the code but doesn’t do the color/size change…

Jacob
    Keymaster

Hmm, you’re using square brackets rather than triangle brackets, right? “[” and “]”? And you’re using plain double quotation marks, rather than the quotation marks that tilt to the left or right based on whether they’re before or after words?

The format, (hoping this helps,) is: open bracket, “color”, space, “color”, equals sign, double quote, “blue”, double quote, close bracket, content, open bracket, forward slash, “color”, close bracket.

There’s a version of the plugin I’m using that adds a toolbar for users, but only if I purchase the “pro” version, rather than just using the free version, which translates the code but doesn’t add interface buttons. If it turns out users have a lot of trouble without the interface buttons, I may try to code some myself, or I may go ahead and purchase the pro version of the plugin, but hopefully I can help troubleshoot first.

Spooner Bookman
    Participant

Is this blue?

It is! It is blue! Woot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.