Welcome!

Home Forums Coffee Shop Welcome!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacob 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Jacob
    Keymaster

The Coffee Shop forum is for general discussion. The more closely related the topic is to the Ozarks, politics, economics, and philosophy, the better it might fit here. For topics about fun computer games, awesome fiction books, hobbies, and similar, the SpeakEasy may fit better.

For barter/trade requests, users can post in the Trading Post. Please participate elsewhere before posting in the Trading Post by posting at least one comment or topic in any of the other forums.

Both the Clubhouse and Trading Post are “private”, in that only registered users can see them. This will hopefully provide places for semi-private discussion, but please don’t rely on us to keep your messages safe from government or corporate surveillance. For that sort of thing, you may check out the tools at Prism Break.

If you have trouble signing up, logging in, or posting, feel free to ask for help in our facebook group. We use Akismet for spam prevention, so it’s possible that if you have trouble posting, your post may have automatically been marked as spam. Let us know if you think this has occurred.

Also try to be civil to each other.

Welcome to the forum!

Hogeye
    Participant

Great job, Jacob! It is not easy to set up a forum like this and get it running. Now we just need to reach critical mass of a couple dozen people, or at least a dozen posts per week. I’ll try to wean myself off of Facebook and post here more.

Jacob
    Keymaster

Thanks Hogeye! I will try to work out some content to add to the blog, as well, to attract visitors. Do you know if the Free Weekly allows third parties to republish their content? I was hoping I could publish the articles you and Abel write for the Free Weekly on the blog, here, if possible. I will have to ask Abel, if you are not sure.

Hogeye
    Participant

Information is free. I intend to publish both articles on my web site. I have a different attitude than you about IP I guess. I ignore those laws. I’ve only been hassled twice. Once a lawyer sent me an email demanding that I stop using a chess king as a design element, claiming it was copyrighted. Since I designed it myself with Fontographer, I told him to fuck off. Another time, a lawyer emailed me demanding that I remove an allegedly copyrighted photo of Robert Johnson (famous blues musician) from my music page. I told him “no way,” and never heard from him again.

Jacob
    Keymaster

I guess we do have different attitudes about IP.

On the one hand, I try to be more careful and strategic in what laws I ignore, I think, any step out of bounds I want to be deliberate and thought out. I’m surprised you have only been hassled those two times; perhaps I am just overestimating the danger.

On the other hand, if the authors of a work don’t want me to republish it, I prefer to respect their wishes. This seems prudent if I want to be on friendly terms with those authors, if I want to work with them or their publisher in the future, or if I want them to keep writing and publishing on the same topics. I want to encourage the Free Weekly to keep publishing on anarchist ideas, for instance, so asking them if they’re ok with me republishing articles they print seems like a good idea. Otherwise they might leave me to just try to publish them myself, and the articles would only be read by a fraction of the people.

Im1wthu11
    Participant

Can I get a mocha latte?

Jacob
    Keymaster

Can I get a mocha latte?

Absolutely, Im1wthu11! *makes a virtual mocha latte and hands it to Im1wthu11* Welcome to the forum! 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Jacob.

Im1wthu11
      Participant

Thanks, glad to be here.

Hogeye
    Participant

Jacob! A suggestion for the admin. Can you fix it so that the blockquote font is not so small? Thanks.

Hogeye
    Participant

More suggestions:
    Is there a way to add 1) centering, and 2) font sizes, to the button selections for editing?

Jacob
    Keymaster

I’m not sure, but I will look into all of those! Thanks for the suggestions!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.